என் வயது இருபத்தி ஏழு ஆகிறது.இந்த வருடம் நான் ஏதோ கொஞ்சம் அதிகம் வயதாகி விட்டது போல் ஒரு உணர்வு தோன்றிக் கொண்டிருந்தது.எனக்குள் நேர்ந்துக் கொண்டிருந்த அந்த எண்ணங்களுக்கு காரணம் என்ன என்று ஆராய எனக்கு விருப்பம் இல்லை.ஆனால் சில நேரங்களில் நினைத்து பார்க்கும் பொழுது நான் கடந்த வந்த பாதையிலும் இனி போக போகும் வாழ்கையிலும் என் உருவம் எவ்வளவு எடைப் போட படுகிறது என்று எண்ணிப் பார்க்கிறேன்.
எல்லோருக்கும் பிடித்த நிறம் என்றால் கறுப்பு என்று வாய் கிழிய பேசுவதை கேட்டு இருக்கிறேன்.கருப்பு தான் கம்பீரம் என்பார்கள்."கறுப்பழகு காந்தலே ருசி" என்று சிலர் கூறுவார்கள்.ஆனால் என் நாட்களில் நான் என் காது பட என் நிறத்தைக் கிண்டல் செய்து இருக்கிறார்கள்.பால்யக் காலங்களில் என் நிறம் எனக்கு ஒரு அடையாளம் அது ஒரு அடிமைத் தனத்தின் போராட்டங்கள் என்று கூட சொல்லலாம். நிறத்தை மீறி அடையாளம் தேடும் பருவம் மிக விரைவில் நேர்ந்தாலும் என்னை சார்ந்த என் மீது தெளிக்கப்பட்ட பார்வைகள் என்னை பார்க்காமல் என் நிறத்தை பார்த்துக்கொண்டே தான் இருந்தன. நிறங்கள் பற்றி தொலைக்காட்சியில் ஒரு மீட்சி இல்லாவிடிலும் ஒரு வித பயணம் என்னை போராட வைத்துக்கொண்டிருந்தது
யாரோ என் உறவினர் ஒரு முறை என்னிடம் இவ்வாறு கூறினார்
" நீ பொறந்த போது உன்னைய கைல தூக்கவே நாங்க எல்லாம் கொஞ்சம் தயங்கினோம் " என்று கூறினார்.என் குடும்பத்திலேயே நான் தான் கறுப்பு என்று அடிக்கடி சொல்வார்கள்.
அம்மாவிடம் போய் வெகுளித்தனமாக கேட்பேன்
" அம்மா நான் மட்டும் என் கறுப்பா பிறந்தேன் ???" .
அம்மா ஒன்றும் சொல்ல மாட்டாள்;நான் திரும்ப திரும்ப சிறு வயதில் கேட்டதால்
" நீ பொறக்கும் பொழுது நான் நிறைய திராட்சை சாப்பிட்டேன் டா !!" .
நானும் திரும்ப அம்மாவிடம்
" சிவராம் பொறக்கும் பொழுது என்ன சாப்பிடீங்க ?" .அம்மா யோசிக்காமல்
"நான் அவன் பொறக்கும் பொழுது ஆப்பிள் சாப்பிட்டேன் "
நான் இந்த பதில் மிகவும் திருப்திகரமாக இருந்ததால் பலரிடம் கூறி வந்தேன்.சிலர் கறுப்பா என்பர் .என் சிறுவயதில் அப்படி அழைக்கும் பொழுது எனக்குள் ஒரு கோபம் வரும் ,ஆனால் அது உண்மைதானே என்று எனக்கும் நான் குறுகி விடுவேன்.இன்று பலரையும் குறுக வைத்து வெள்ளை மோகத்தில் விழ வைப்பது, இந்த உண்மையை சிறுமியாக மனதில் எடுத்துக்கொள்வது தான்.
ஆப்ரிக்க அமெரிக்கர்கள் மிகவும் முரடானவர்கள் அவர்கள் சமூக விரோதமான செயல்கள் செய்பவர்கள் என்று என் பல நண்பர்கள் கூறி கேள்வி பட்டிருக்கிறேன்.அந்த செயல்களுக்கு நான் அமர்ந்து யோசித்துப் பார்க்கும் போது விடை மிக எளிதாக சிக்குகிறது.உண்மையில் எவனும் அவ்வாறு செய்ய முனைய மாட்டான்.ஒரு மனிதனை நிறத்தை வைத்து கேலி செய்வது எவ்வளவு வலி உடையது என்பதை நான் அறிவேன்.இன்றும் என் சிறு வயதில் இருந்து என்னை கேலி செய்த ஒவ்வொரு மனித பிறவிகளையும் என் கண் முன்னே ஞாபகம் வைத்து இருக்கிறேன்.அந்த வலிகள் அந்த கேலி பேச்சுக்கள் ஒருவன் கருப்பாக இருக்கும் போது மட்டுமே உணர முடியும்.
ஏன் இந்த பதிவு திடீர் என்று எவர் வேண்டுமானாலும் கேட்கலாம் .எனது கூகிள் மெயில் பாக்ஸில் இன்று ஒரு மெயில் என்னை யோசிக்க வைத்தது.
When I born, I black
When I grow up, I black
When I go in Sun, I black
When I scared, I black
When I sick, I black
And when I die, I still black
And you white fellow
And you white fellow
When you born, you pink
When you grow up, you white
When you go in sun, you red
When you cold, you blue
When you scared, you yellow
When you sick, you green
And when you die, you gray
And you calling me colored?
And you calling me colored?
ஒரு ஆப்பிரிக்க சிறுவன் எழுதிய ஒரு கவிதை.நானும் கறுப்பு நிறத்தை பற்றி எழுத வேண்டும் என்று யோசித்துக் கொண்டிருக்கும் பொழுது இந்த கவிதை என்னை மேலும் தூண்டிவிட்டது.எவ்வளவு அப்பாவித்தனமான உண்மை.இதில் எவனையும் குறிப்பிட்டு சொல்ல விரும்பவில்லை.
இந்தக்கொடூரமான ஒரு சிந்தனையில் எல்லோரும் இருக்கிறோம் .வெள்ளையாக இருப்பது அழகு ,கருப்பாக இருப்பது அழகல்ல என்று. ஒரு நாள் என்னை விட வயது மூத்த ஒரு பெண்ணிடம் சாட் (chat)செய்து கொண்டிருந்தேன்.அவளும் என்னிடம் சில புகைபடங்களை காட்டினாள்.அவள் என் புகை படத்தை பார்த்து விட்டு" நீ கலையா இருக்க ஆனால் ரொம்ப கறுப்பு " எனக்கு கோபம் வந்தது.ஆனால் அவள் அறியாமையுடன் எனக்கு மோத விருப்பம் இல்லை.
இதனால் கறுப்பு தான் அழகு என்று சொல்ல வரவில்லை.கறுப்பும் ஒரு நிறம் அவ்வளவு தான்.நான் முரடன் என்று முத்திரைக் குத்தப் பட்ட நாட்களில் நான் முரடனாக இல்லை.நான் ஒரு சாதரண இளைஞனாக தான் இருந்தேன்.என் தோற்றம் சில நேரம் சிலருக்கு அவ்வாறு தோன்றி இருக்கலாம்.ஒரு முறை கல்லூரியில் பேஷன் ஷோ நடந்தது.அதில் பங்கு கொள்ள என்னை என் சீனியர் ஆதி நாராயணன் அழைத்தான்.எனக்கு வியப்பாக இருந்தது.நம்மை என் இவன் சேர்த்து கொள்கிறான் என்று.பொதுவாக பேஷன் ஷோ செல்பவர்களுக்கு முதல் தகுதி வெள்ளையாக இருக்க வேண்டும் என்பது.நான் எதற்கு அங்கே ?.இது தவிர பேஷன் ஷோவில் பங்கு கொள்ளும் ஆண்களுக்கு பெண்களிடம் ஒரு ஸ்பெஷல் கவனிப்பு இருக்கும்.
என் நண்பர்கள் பலர் என்னிடம் கேட்டார்கள் " டேய் நீ எதுக்குடா அங்க போற மச்சி திருஷ்டி பொட்டு தானே ?" நானும் ஒன்றும் சொல்லியது இல்லை.ஆனால் அன்று பேஷன் ஷோவில் வென்றது நான் தான்.திருஷ்டி பொட்டு தான் அன்று அந்த குழுவிற்கு திலகம் ஆகி விட்டது.
சில இடங்களில் அந்த கறுப்பு நிறம் என்னை கட்டிப் போட்டு இருக்கிறது.என் முழு பங்கெடுப்பை பல இடங்களில் தடுத்து இருக்கிறது.அந்த தாழ்வு மனப்பான்மை என்னை பல இடங்களில் கூனிக் குறுக வைத்து இருக்கிறது.சில நேரங்களில் .எதாவது ஷோ ரூம் சென்று சட்டை எடுக்க சென்றால் எனக்கு பிடித்த சட்டைகளை எடுக்கும் பொழுது " இது நல்லா தான் இருக்கு ஆனால் வேண்டாம் நம்ம கலருக்கு சரி பட்டு வராது " இன்று வைத்து விடுவேன்.ஒரு ஆணிற்கு இந்த நிலைமை என்றால் ஒரு பெண்ணிற்கு எவ்வளவு வலிக்கும் என்று அடிக்கடி யோசித்து பார்ப்பேன்.இன்று நான் அந்த நிலையை தாண்டி வந்து விட்டேன்.
எல்லோரும் அப்படி தான் என்று சொல்ல வரவில்லை சிலர் என்னிடம் வந்து உனக்கு இந்த கலர் எவ்வளவு கம்பீரம் கொடுக்குது தெரியுமா இன்று சொல்லும் போது முட்டாள்தனமாக என் மனம் சந்தோஷப்பட்டுக் கொண்டிருந்தது.சில பெண்கள் கறுப்பாக இருந்தார்கள் என்பதால் அவர்கள் நெருங்கி வந்த அந்த பொழுதுகளை ஒதுக்கி இருக்கிறேன்.
நிறம்,நிறம் நிறம் ...இது தான் பல இடங்களில் தொலைக்காட்சிகளில் செய்தி தாழ்களில் முக்கியமாக இருக்கிறது,எவனுக்கு தான் தான் வெள்ளையாக இருக்க வேண்டும் என்ற நினைப்பு இருக்காது,.தவறு இல்லை .நான் பழி சொல்ல முனைய வில்லை.
எனக்கு ரஜினிதான் தலைவர்.எனக்கு நந்திதா தாஸ் பிடிக்கும்.கனிமொழி ரொம்ப பிடிக்கும்,வினோத் கம்பளி என்றால் ரொம்ப பிடிக்கும்,விட்னி ஹௌச்டன் பிடிக்கும்,இவர்களுக்கு மேலாக என்னை பிடிக்கும் இவர்களுக்கு மேலாக .தன்னை விரும்ப வேண்டும் என்பது என் கொள்கை.அடுத்தவன் சொல்வதை நினைக்காமல் படி ஏறிய இதில் உள்ள அத்தனை பேரும் ஒரு நிமிடம் கூட தான் கறுப்பு இன்று வருத்த பட்டிருப்பார்கள் இன்று எனக்கு தோன்ற வில்லை. தன் நிறத்தை மாற்றி கொண்ட மைகேல் ஜாக்சன் பிடிக்காது.
ஆனால் உண்மை வேற்று பட்டு தான் இருக்கும்.வேளையில் ,பள்ளியில்,வீட்டில்,கல்லூரியில் இந்த நிறத்தை வைத்து பட்ட அவமானங்களை நான் ஒதுக்கி தள்ளி விட்டேன்.கேலி செய்யும் போது வரும் கோபமும் இன்றும் இல்லை.இன்று என்னை நேரில் சந்திப்பவர் கறுப்பு என்று கேலி செய்ய கொஞ்சம் தயக்கம் கொள்வதை கண் கூடாக பார்க்கிறேன்.அவர்களின் அந்த செயல்களுக்கு காரணம் என் attitude ஆக இருக்கலாம்.ஆனால் இன்று எவனும் இவன் கறுப்பு அதனால் தான் இப்படி !!! என்று கொள்ள நான் இடம் தருவது இல்லை.எனக்கு பிடித்த நிறங்களை நான் அணிகிறேன்.முக்கியமாக கறுப்பு சட்டை வாரம் முறை அணிகிறேன்.நான் Fair and lovely யோ அல்ல பவுடரோ என் வாழ்நாளில் பூசியது கிடையாது.இனியும் பூசி ,எனக்கு ஒரு முகமூடி அணிய விருப்பம் இல்லை.என் நிறத்திற்கு ஒரு பாரம்பரியம் இருக்கிறது.திராவிட நிறத்தை கொள்ள என் மனம் பெருமை கொள்கிறது.நிறத்தை தாண்டி நகர்ந்து போகும் எண்ணங்களுக்கு நான் மதிப்பு தருகிறேன்.நிறத்தை அழகின் ஒரு அளவு கோலாக கொள்ள என் மனம் ஒப்பவில்லை.ஒரு முறை நின்று என் வாழ்கையை சிந்தித்து பார்க்கும் பொழுது அந்த கேலிகளும் பேச்சுக்களும் எனக்குள் தாழ்வு உணர்ச்சியை தரவில்லை.எனக்கு ஒரு அறியாமையை புகட்டி சென்று இருக்கிறது.கறுப்பின் கம்பீரமும் கலையும் எந்த நிறத்தாலும் கொடுக்க முடியாது என்ற பேட்சுக்களை கூட எனக்கு கேட்க உடன்பாடு இல்லை.என்னால் பெயரிட்டு சொல்ல முடியவில்லை ஆனால் , படித்த ,நல்லா அறிவுள்ள பலர் இந்த அறியாமையில் இருப்பது என்னால் உணரமுடிகிறது.
நிறத்தால் கேலி செய்வது மூடத்தனம் அல்ல ,அது ஒரு கோழைத்தனம்.நிகராக கொள்ள முடியாத நேரங்களில் நிறத்தை வைத்து தாழ்த்தி வைப்பது ஒரு பேடித்தனம்.
முடிக்கும் போது இந்த பாடல் தான் நினைவில் வருகிறது.
உன்னை பொத்தி வச்சிருக்கும் நெஞ்சுக்குழி கறுப்பு தான் ,
ஊரறிய பெத்துக்கணும் புள்ள பத்தும் கறுப்பு தான்
நம்ம ஊரு சூப்பர் ஸ்டாரு ரஜினி காந்தும் கறுப்பு தான்
அழகு கறுப்பு தான்
நானும் கறுப்பு தான்
அதில் எனக்கு பெருமை தான் .
நானும் கறுப்பு தான்
அதில் எனக்கு பெருமை தான் .
கறுப்பு தான்


18 comments:
Good initiative Karthik. I'm a little late to sail with you on this boat, but you are doing pretty well in this blog as well.I really appreciate your dedication, patience, and hard work on this!!!
P.S.:
Came to know from Subbu that your blog was appreciated by a couple of movie directors. Kudos once again. Great going and love to see you going places.
Oru naal, un paeru periya level-la famous aagaum podhu maar thattikuven, that I was associated with this guys for sometime.
Yes man, quite true still lot of educated ppl r gvng more importantance to color. But i guess the mentality and the attraction towards white wont change in near future.
ana Pinra Machi nee, Day by day u r becoming a versatile superlative writer by writing contents on diff. topics (which ppl dare to touch) Rombha yosikiriyo??
machi...i dont remember people calling you karuppu in college...we call you karadi for a totally diff reason which you can be proud off...if you are in the 70s you are "THE MAN".....:)....
Anyway...i personally feel there isnt anything in the color...its as much racist to call black is only beautiful as well...:)...anyway bottom line people love you for what you are ...and India is the most racist country of all :)
S K
Well said...
Your topic is apt as that explains the entire content very clearly.
This is a great boost up for many of the black faces to come out of their colour complexity. It is crystal clear from ur wordings that success is apart from colour....
Very nice....Keep going...
Regards,
JayaPalani.
@sabari
thanks man....u can always relate many things in this blog as i take inspiration from college and school days...
machi ethu ellam konjam over ...ennai vatchi komedy keemadi pannalaye....:)
@hussain
ukkarnthu yosikka neram ellam ella machi...etho pogumpothu thattu padura matter...thanks for ur true feebback
india is the racist country well said machi...and u dont remember but i remember people saying some thing abt the color...any way thats past and i have ridden on it...
@jaya
thanks yaar...
Innum konjam yeri mithi machi.. i would love to kill each and every bastard who called me "Blacky"..
All damn ppl are like this.. even me sometimes, we turn back our head to lovely, pinky girls isn't??
See basic love towards white / pink has evolved from many things that were created by people who are in that color.. now it would take centuries to tear this thought from ppl's brain..
But i loved this post a lot.. i personally felt satisfied.. thanks for that da...
In nagpur, i have felt a lot da.. when u are black; the guy/gal opposite to you takes a prejudice, it takes time to impress by ur knowledge... its very true..
u are bit emotional...ok...its like this..eri mithichal onnum nadakkathu...its in u that u need to feel that u are not inferior ...live ur life u wanted with ref to color..have u ever seen me thinking bad that i am black...no way..i have always impressed with my things...but inside i had this feelings...its not for stammering any body..but for myself and for fellows:)
Karthi,
I read this racist blog. i understand its not for advising or suggesting any message. Its just the feeling that you had and you like to share..... Ofcourse i had visited your house many times and i remember all these discussions that you have and had with your brother and parents.... Hope you do remember the tuition classes....hmm.
hey karthi,
I read some of the comments and could say strongly that most of our classmates did not have any racist opinion. I am not trying to take anyone side. Just wanted to say that you were called kaka as your name with initials is கா.கா. If i wanna say something, your blogs are inspiring me to record something like you....
@ Sriram
He he ...hey dont try to clarify any bodys stand machi,,,it was intended not for any body for sure..its just a general post...i have mentioned u can understand only when you are black:)
This is an excellent Article Kartik. I am a girl dark in complexion. And I have heard so many of those hurtful words from my own relatives. My mom's side family - most of them were fair. My Dad's side family were dark. Though I had a perfect figure and beautiful features according to two people during my high school days [Aunt (Dad's sister) and one of my best friend from Ceylon], I was not included in Fashion shows, school/college dances, school drama events. I was literally not selected in any of these because of my complexion and this was conveyed openly. I am glad they did not have any such restrictions for group singing or choir. This best friend of mine from Ceylon, with whom I studied during my High School Days helped me get rid of these years of inferiority complex I had within myself. I decided that I am going to reach a position in life where all these fair skinned school/college beauty queens and dance queens will look up at me with awe. I will ensure that the relatives who commented about my complexion use me as an example to tell their kids to work hard and achieve higher goals in life. And I did it. By God's Grace, I am in a very good position today. And my relatives look up on me beyond complexion.
But when it came to marriage, it was back to the roots again. All the Indian guys wanted a fair, pink girl. They would rather marry an obese or an unattractive featured girl in fair skin than marrying a perfect figured good looking dark complexioned girl. The Dowry rate for me because of this was more. I got frustrated. Currently, I live in US. I came here for work during my mid 20s. To my surprise, my caucasian friends loved my skin and features. My Afro-American friends admire me. I have got compliments for my beautiful features from many Afro-American and Caucasian strangers. It boosted my confidence and helped heeling the wounds caused by potential Indian grooms and their parents. I met my husband here in US dated him and married him to the joy of both the families. My husband is fair. But I swear, I did not look at his complexion when we started dating. It was his character that drew me towards him. Till this day, neither my husband nor his family members have NEVER EVER commented on my complexion. They always said how beautiful I was, and how gorgeous I look in different dresses. I vividly remember one thing. 1 week before we got married, my mom (who came from India to attend the wedding) asked my husband if he is ok with the fact that I am dark in complexion. My husband was very surprised. He said that he never even noticed that and he loved me for who I am and not the looks. He said Appearance is very deceitful. When u grow old or if u meet with an accident (fire or some God- forbidden thing), this appearance will change. Even during that juncture, he would still love me.
I have just dumped all my feelings here in this Comments section. I apologise for this. Karthik - frankly speaking, U were 200% correct. India is a racist country especially for women. But somehow women like actress Radhika, Nanditha Das, Actress Bhanu priya, Actress Saroja Devi find their way through the Fair-skinned industry and make their mark.
Hai Gene!!!
I have replied all my comments with ease..But i took time to reply yours as it speaks truth and pain .Let me tell you some thing..any day Black or white its ur attitude and state of being which defines you.I would say nowadays i have started feeling proud of being black.Black is my strength and my identity .I dont want to make my self a mixed color.I am what I am.On the people who speak on that..I give a piece of mind to them...But nowadays they dare to speak abt it..
I am glad that you have got a very happy life.I pray for both of your well being and health.I am really glad to see ur husband loving you so much...
Gene...U got to throw on the appearance part its all a fake ...finally purpose gets lost...they get into the same mode of that...having negative views abt fair skinned people ...I dont have negative thoughts abt them...But i want to show its not the color which matters...
And finally...Indians have the mind set of that fair people are beautiful...Only dark people realise the pain of that thought...TAKE AWAY THE COLOR OF UR SKIN FROM UR HEART AND LOOK HOW U ARE ...u can be free to do any thing u wish if it bugs u at any time....No body has control on the skin...
Thanks for being frank and expressive,,Keep commenting...Have a great and rocking life ahead....Cheers...:)))))
Quite a post!
I have not thot much abt it..but i have.
And i still wondered where this concept of black v/s white had taken root. Is it purely a colonial concept or even "Indians" had this 2000 years back?
You may also check out, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Man's_Burden
Hey Karthi, This is Kanda(samy) ur +2 mate. Sriram has introduced me into this blog.
It's good to see you as a versatile writer after recalling you in memory for writing poetry in Tamil classes.
You might remember that in a particular chemistry lab class, we were playing a poetic game, that each one will tell a title and the other has to tell a short instant poem based on that title. This incident is fresh in my mind.
And then about this particular blog, we called you kaka, based on your black color only, but that is part of the world of friends having fun of each other.
It doesn't mean that it's always right. As friends we may not focus on whether our other friend is being offended or not. we focus only on the joy it brings.
But I'm not certain whether this can be called rascism, becos as friends we may be stupid but not political.
Scientifically speaking, the color black has something to do with our physiology of the eyes and heceforth the psychology of our mind. When our eyes perceive that an object has a particular color, that means that color is being reflected by the object and all other color rays of light are observed by it.
So if more light lays are reflected, our brain feels that the vision has a better clarity and feels comfortable, but this is not the case with black related colors
So colors related to black means the reflection is minimal and our eyes could not provide enough info to the brain.
This scientific truth might have developed the psychology of the human mind that anything related to black has less importance and we literally tend to oversee it. As eyes are the most important sense organ, it has a greater impact in the psychology of our mind
As matured humans we should not deceived by this and should try to look into the quality of human rather than the skin color.
Thanks for dropping by.hope u are doing good....
///This scientific truth might have developed the psychology ///
This "might" have but it didnt .I would definitely say the black racism was formed because of the underdeveloped african country when the cultural harmony existed in many of the countries.Slowly when colonial period prevailed these people were treated as slaves and the historic events led to the treatment of black people.In other countries white complexion meant superior race.But in India it means beauty which is one ridiculous thing.I KNOW FOR THE FACT THAT I AM DARK COMPLEXION but for the fact i would say i was named KaKa because my name in tamil reads as KA.Karthik,This was the reason the name came.but only few called me for the color (!!!!) .
I am not bothered abt the tiny brains of any body this point.But to argue on this scientific part i could definetely say i am not with your concept.
human brain works in the way to accept as per the societal things ,Black is considered to be dark ,Thats why we have black friday,black july,Black market.Which is unloving,doomed.But this all happened because there is no shed of light or ray of hope nor there is unpleasant events happened.
But for human the black is a problem if the society thinks it as superior or beauty ,
Over the years I have understood that India is the most racist country inthe whole world
Post a Comment